This article explains how to set up Schoolyear on managed computers.
Installation / updating application
Downloading the Schoolyear application is built into the onboarding flow of the exam. The latest Schoolyear version is automatically offered to the student before the exam so that he/she can download the latest version (if not available on the computer yet).
On managed computers it has be taken into account that the student often does not have permission to install applications. Therefore, the educational institution must install the software on these computers in advance. This roll-out on managed computers is a one-time action. Once Schoolyear is installed, the updating process runs automatically.
How does the updating work?
Every month a new version of Schoolyear is released according to the Schoolyear release schedule. With the automatic update feature, updating takes place automatically when the student starts his exam on the managed computer. Click here to read more about how the automatic update works.
- Download the latest version MSI of Schoolyear.
- Package the application and deploy it on all managed computers (educational PCs, exam PCs and backup devices) that the educational institution will use.
Testing Schoolyear on Managed Computers
Once you have distributed the Schoolyear MSI, you can test if Schoolyear is properly installed. Follow the steps below. You can also follow these steps if you want to test a new release of Schoolyear.
- Log in to Schoolyear*.
- Click on a tile to create an exam:
- Option A: click on "custom exam" and enter a random URL.
- Option B: click on the tile named Device-check**.
- Remember the exam code that appears on the screen.
- Go to exams.schoolyear.app on the computer(s) you want to test and enter the exam code. Register with a fictitious name and student ID. If you are testing multiple computers, use a different fictitious student ID each time.
- Schoolyear will now launch. Follow the on-screen instructions. If you are unable to run Schoolyear on managed computers, contact email@example.com.
Distinguish between managed and unmanaged computers
Schoolyear has developed a feature to detect if the exam is taken on a managed computer at the institute. This information becomes available in the Schoolyear dashboard and helps institutions to get more insight into the use of different computers and the number of back-up devices used per exam. Over time, this will enable institutions to better estimate how many back-up devices they need to keep in stock.
- Create a REG_SZ key with the name 'managed' in the following registry: For 64-bit Windows PCs: Path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Schoolyear\Schoolyear Exams. For 32-bit Windows PCs: Path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Schoolyear\Schoolyear Exam
- They value can remain empty.