To configure Schoolyear on ChromeOS you should generate ChromeOS credentials in the Schoolyear dashboard first and then add these to the institution's Google Admin Console.
- Taking exams with Schoolyear is only possible on managed chromebooks. Taking exams with Schoolyear is not possible on a student's chromebook (Bring Your Own Device).
- To configure the ChromeOS credentials, you need admin rights in Schoolyear and access to the institution's Google Admin Console.
In the Schoolyear dashboard:
- Log in to the Schoolyear dashboard.
- Go to the profile icon at the top right and choose 'Admin console' > 'ChromeOS configuration' > 'generate new ChromeOS credentials > 'copy or save as text file'.
Under 'Details' you will find the ExtensionID, Web clientURL and the ExtensionURL. Save these so you can enter the URL's later in the Google Admin Console. Make sure that during the configuration in the admin console, you don't forget to click 'save' in the right top corner.
In the Google Admin Console:
- Go to admin.google.com and log in.
- From the menu on the left, choose 'Devices' > 'Chrome' > 'Apps and extensions' > 'Kiosks'.
- Click the yellow plus at the bottom right and choose 'Add by URL'. Add the WebclientURL. Click 'Agree'. The Schoolyear app has now been added to the overview. Click the Schoolyear app and set the following configurations:
- Turn on 'Allow App to Manage Power'.
- Under 'Add extension' > 'Add via a custom URL', add the ExtensionID.
- The 'URL' field appears. Add the ExtensionURL overhere.
- Once you click 'confirm'. Open the added extension. In the field: 'Policy for exentions' past the JSON file for the Schoolyear admin dashboard.
- Click 'Save' in the top right corner.
- Optional: If the computers will be used exclusively for Schoolyear, you can set Schoolyear to start automatically after restarting the chromebook. To do so, click the dropdown icon behind 'App Auto Startup' and select 'Schoolyear Exams'.
How does updating Schoolyear on ChromeOS work?
Updating the Schoolyear application and the Schoolyear extension on ChromeOS takes place automatically. No actions from IT are required here.