In most cases, exams are administered in combination with an integrated testing application. However, in some cases, there is also a demand for an exam where only a desktop application needs to be used. Think of writing-exams with Word, exams with only Excel, or using SPSS or R as a calculator.
For these types of exams, Schoolyear has made a standalone version of Secure Apps available. With this method, you can directly plan an exam and upload the necessary files in the Schoolyear dashboard. These will then be available for the students during the exam. Optionally, students can also submit the files to Schoolyear. You can also choose to add another website to the whitelist to allow files to be submitted there.
How does it work for the teacher?
Setting up an exam:
- As a teacher, log into the Schoolyear dashboard and create a new exam. This can be done via the custom exam or via a pre-set whitelist tile.
- During the creation of an exam, you can open the extra configuration. Follow these steps*:
- Enable: Activate Secure Apps here for the exam
- Plan: Enter the number of students participating in the exam.
- Select App: Select the App you want to use for this exam. Note: some apps may have a reservation time.
- Upload files:
- Enable the option here to let students submit their work in the Schoolyear dashboard. Note: if you don't enable this, don't forget to allow another website where students can submit the exam.
- Choose the files from your local computer that students may use during an exam.
- When you have finished the settings click save and you will receive an exam code. Students will need this to start their exam.
Retrieving files from the Schoolyear dashboard:
- Students can submit their work in Schoolyear, provided this is activated under step 2.4.1. This work is visible to the teacher in the Schoolyear dashboard.
- The teacher can export all exam files at once (under "exam files") or per student (the paperclip next to the student's name).
How does it work for the student?
- The student starts Schoolyear with an exam code.
- As the start page of the exam, the student will see a page where the exam files are shown. Within this tab, the student can open the exam files.
- Once the student has edited the files and finished the exam, they can go back to the start page of the exam to submit their work there.
*The steps may differ in order, depending on whether you use a custom exam or whitelist tile.